Custom Guitar Tube Amplifier

Rectifier Power Supplies This project is based on the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier guitar amp circuit. A parts list is in the making. Nick Kim and Guido Böhme have built similar amps. The original schematics of the '93 dual channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier are available.
Rectifier Preamp Rectifier Poweramp There are also some older schematics of lower quality wich feature additional voltage annotations. As the project moves along, I will provide updated schematics of my own project and the switching matrix layout. The downloadable archives are of much better quality than the linked images above. The official product manual of the Rectifier may also be of some use if you are not quite sure about what some circuitry does. That way you know at least what the amp is capable of and what functionality the circuit might represent. Rectifier FX Loop Rectivier Switching Matrix

Update [2013-10-13]

Just wanted to give a quick update about how things are progressing. Holes for front pots are drilled and tube sockets along with most of the iron is mounted. I chose to go with a custom wound toroidal mains transformer from Dirk at which needs to be screwed down to the chassis still. The layout is crammed of course but it might just work. If it creates problems I might need to use a bigger chassis but I'll decide that when I get there.

Update [2006-06-16]

All right, that sucked! Next time I'm ordering parts, remind me of paying attention to dimensions, ok? As I am a very lazy guy, I thought I'd get around drilling holes for tube-sockets and such, by ordering a pre-drilled chassis. Hey, space for 6 preamp- and 4 output-tubes should be big enough, right? Not. I should have kept in mind, I need to put some iron in there, too. Have a look at the shots I've taken of how crammed the chassis would be, if I put it all together. Remember, there still need to fit two rectifier tubes somewhere and the filtering cans may need to be placed inside the chassis now.

Update [2006-04-27]

Ok, I've made up my mind. I'll stick quite close to the original design. I will even use the original Vactec LDRs which are available at I have been studying the schematics for some time now and they're not half as complicated as it seemed to me at first sight. I will even try and add an additional (foot-)switchable Lead mode which will change the voicing of the selected channel (orange or red). The modified circuit will feature a EF86 pentode which will replace V2 if switched on. An override volume for this lead voicing will be inserted, too. This will increase the complexity of the switching matrix somewhat but not that much. A few more VTL5C9s and that is that.

Update [2006-04-17]

I may now finally start to collect parts for this project. I have set up a parts list wich I will update and compile as I walk through the schematics. I have already decided on iron and chassis. As good as Nick's planning the final amp are, the layouts he provides on his page are low quality Bitmaps, so I will redesign the layouts completely and provide PDFs. That way I can easily print them and prepare them for toner-transfer onto the copper without having to think about scale.

Update [2004-05-18]

Still have to compose the parts list from the schematics and start collecting parts. I think I'll use metal-oxide resistors in the whole amp because of their superior tolerance and sound quality. Most of the other parts will be purchased at Dirk's store is a great parts source for vintage amps here in Germany.